Living Legend Pete Escovedo
An evening of Latin rock and jazz wit Pete Escovedo and Grammy-winning La Santa Cecilia 5:30pm Thursday, Aug. 21. Cesar Chavez Plaza. Tickets $10 advance now on sale. $20 day of event. Children 12 and under free with supervising adult. En Espanol
This “Throwback Thursday” show at Plaza de Cesar Chavez Park features Legendary percussionist Pete Escovedo headlining for a record 18th appearance at Music in the Park . Escovedo is an artist who broke the barriers between smooth jazz, Salsa, Latin jazz and contemporary music more than 50 years ago and always delivers an amazing live show, complete with a jazz orchestra and family members in tow.
With La Santa Cecilia
(check out their Tiny Desk concert at NPR’s headquarters)
2014′s Best Latin Rock Album Grammy Award Winner’s – La Santa Cecilia – return to San Jose by popular demand – following a sold out, dance-til-you-drop show at the San Jose Jazz Winter Fest in February.
Check LiveandLocalSJ.com to see what’s happening in downtown San Jose.
Music in the Park started in 1989 as an eight-week, Friday lunchtime series in Plaza de Cesar Chavez. The series moved to Thursday evenings in 1990, eventually growing to 13 concerts. From 1998 to 2008, Music in the Other Park was produced in St. James Park in June ahead of the Plaza Park season. In all, SJDA produced 258 free shows featuring acts such as Tower of Power, Smash Mouth, Maroon 5, Eek-A-Mouse and Greg Kihn. In 2013, Music in the park returned after a one-year hiatus, and featured Ozomotli.
The concerts are supported by loyal sponsors and attended by devoted fans that reflect the region’s diverse population and socioeconomic makeup.
More Music in the Park information
• No coolers, outside food or drinks, cans or glass bottles (except people with special medical conditions).
• No pets (except licensed service dogs)
• Low-back chairs and blankets OK. No canopies or tents
• No smoking in San Jose City Parks
• No sharp objects or weapons
• Silicon Valley DeBug will have a variety of music and art activities, including make-your-own T-shirts, hands on mural painting and hula-hooping.
• There will be FREE bike valet parking, courtesy of the City of San Jose and the Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition – available near the main entrance from 4:30 – 9:30 p.m.
• Downtown restaurants will serve menu items at the event.
• This is a GREEN WASTE EVENT! Thanks to a grant from the San Jose Environmental Services Department and help from Republic Services, Nothing Wasted Consulting and Conservation Corps, at least 75% of waste from the event will be diverted away from landfill, reducing the event’s impact on the environment.
•POSTERS: A limited number of framed posters from past seasons of Music in the Park are available for sale. The posters were created by some of Silicon Valley’s best designers. These make wonderful gifts for Music in the Park fans and former attendees. For information, please contact Blage Zelalich.
T-SHIRTS: Silicon Valley Debug produced some cool Music in the Park T-shirts, which are available for sale. Check them out!
Before you come downtown visit sjdowntownparking.com to keep your drive stress-free
Parking: $5 parking after 6 p.m. is available in CITY OF SAN JOSE garages, such as the garages at Third Street near Santa Clara Street and at Market and San Pedro streets. Parking informational signs on city streets will guide you to the nearest city lot or garage.
Become a FAN of SJDA on Facebook
Thanks to our 2014 Music in the Park Sponsors:
(Click on logo to view website)