Downtown San Jose’s longest running outdoor music festival has a 26 year history. Acts including Pete Escovedo, Berlin, Maroon 5, Flogging Molly, the English Beat and more have played in Cesar Chavez Plaza or St. James Park as part of the summer concert series.
Music in the Park Summer Concert Series 2015 – Plaza de Cesar Chavez Park
All shows begin 5:15 p.m. and end by 9 p.m.
Kids 12 and Under FREE with adult.
Peruvian born singer, composer, and bandleader, Julio Bravo creates an explosion of sound and energy, mixed with Orquesta Salsabor’s dynamic range and energetic live show, making them a fun spectacle for dance and music lovers.
Pa’l Bailador means “For The Dancer”, and the group is known for playing upbeat and energetic salsa music fusing the sounds of Puerto Rico and New York, and play covers of all the latest hits as well as their own original tracks and arrangements.
LOS LONELY BOYS headline FRIDAY, AUGUST 28 – with San Jose’s own J.C. SMITH BAND opening.
The Grammy-award winning LOS LONELY BOYS play a style of music they call “Texican Rock n’ Roll,” combining elements of rock and roll, Texas blues, brown eyed soul, country, and Tejano. Their debut single, “Heaven,” became a Top 20 hit, reached the #1 spot on Billboard’s adult contemporary chart, and eventually won a Grammy Award for Best Pop Performance by a duo or group with vocal. They followed with two more Grammy nominations in 2006 for their album Sacred (loslonelyboys.com). Openers - The J.C. SMITH BAND - has been voted “Best Blues Band in South Bay” numerous times and are known for their energetic live shows channeling Chicago style jump blues and swing, but with a San Jose twist.
FOOD VENDORS INCLUDE:
- PIZZA MY HEART; and ANGELOU’S MEXICAN GRILL; and FALAFEL FRESH (gluten free and veggie options); SIAM LOCO WRAPS food truck; SNOWZILLA SHAVERY (shaved ice cream and fruit); andASMARA’S HOT DOGS (also serve KETTLE KORN and FUNNEL CAKES).
FREE BIKE VALET PARKING at all 3 concerts, located at the South end of Plaza de Cesar Chavez, near the Admissions Entrance.
4:45pm until 9:45 p.m., courtesy of Silicon Valley Bike Coalition and the City of San Jose Department of Transportation.
NEW THIS SEASON…
- The FutureArtsNow! Activity Zoneincludes kids urban art activities, live DJ and dance workshops.
- Luna Chalk Arts Festival will have an interactive CHALK ZONE to channel the inner artist in youth and adults alike.
- Cocktail Lounge in the Park with mixed drinks including: Tito’s Vodka; Corralejo Tequila; Hendrick’s Gin and Sailor Jerry Rum.
- Craft Beer Selections from Lagunitas Brewing Company and STRIKE Brewing Company.
- And your favorite reds and whites from J.Lohr Vineyards & Wines.
Music in the Park started in 1989 as an eight-week, Friday lunchtime series in Plaza de Cesar Chavez. The series moved to Thursday evenings in 1990, eventually growing to 13 concerts. From 1998 to 2008, Music in the Other Park was produced in St. James Park in June ahead of the Plaza Park season. In all, SJDA produced 258 free shows featuring acts such as Tower of Power, Smash Mouth, Maroon 5, Eek-A-Mouse and Greg Kihn. In 2013, Music in the park returned after a one-year hiatus, and featured Ozomotli.
The concerts are supported by loyal sponsors and attended by devoted fans that reflect the region’s diverse population and socioeconomic makeup.
Want to get involved? Email AAnderson@sjdowntown.com.
More Music in the Park information
• No coolers, outside food or drinks, cans or glass bottles (except people with special medical conditions).
• No pets (except licensed service dogs)
• Low-back chairs and blankets OK. No canopies or tents
• No smoking in San Jose City Parks
• No sharp objects or weapons
• Downtown restaurants serve menu items at the event.
• This is a GREEN WASTE EVENT! Thanks to a grant from the San Jose Environmental Services Department and help from Republic Services, Nothing Wasted Consulting and Conservation Corps, at least 75% of waste from the event will be diverted away from landfill, reducing the event’s impact on the environment.
•POSTERS: A limited number of framed posters from past seasons of Music in the Park are available for sale. The posters were created by some of Silicon Valley’s best designers. These make wonderful gifts for Music in the Park fans and former attendees. For information, please contact Blage Zelalich.
T-SHIRTS: Silicon Valley Debug produced some cool Music in the Park T-shirts, which are available for sale. Check them out!
Thanks to our 2015 Music in the Park Sponsors:
Interested in sponsoring future Music In the Park shows? Email JNoonan@sjdowntown.com.
(Click on logo to view website)
Before you come downtown visit sjdowntownparking.com to keep your drive stress-free
Parking: $5 parking after 6 p.m. is available in CITY OF SAN JOSE garages, such as the garages at Third Street near Santa Clara Street and at Market and San Pedro streets. Parking informational signs on city streets will guide you to the nearest city lot or garage.
Become a FAN of SJDA on Facebook