Exciting changes are coming to the City’s downtown parking program, effective Aug. 3, 2020.
The City suspended parking operations and provided free parking effective March 19that the onset of the pandemic. Since that time, the City’s parking team has continued to monitor downtown activity and overall parking occupancy, both on-street and in City lots and garages.
On June 23, the City Council approved several updates to the parking programs and rates, with the most notable being the introduction of 90 Minutes of FREE Parking to all downtown visitors parking in the following garages:
- Market & San Pedro Square,
- Second & San Carlos,
- Third Street,
- Fourth Street
- Third & Santa Clara (The Globe)
The 90-minute period of free parking replaces the previous validation program. The new program is designed to provide the following benefits:
- Easy-to-understand program for merchants and customers
- Equity to all downtown businesses and visitors who park at City garages
- Provides costs savings to businesses by eliminating the $0.30-per-validation cost
- Reduces high-touch interactions by eliminating the need for customers to bring parking tickets to merchant for validation
- Continues to support downtown businesses during the pandemic
The City will also resume paid parking Aug. 3 at all on-street meters within the downtown core at the current $2-per-hour rates. Parking compliance activities within the downtown core will resume as well on Aug. 3.
See you soon in downtown San Jose!