Groundwerx Program Info
DOWNLOAD THE DOWNTOWN STREETLIFE PLAN prepared for Groundwerx February 2014.
Due to size of files, each of the six chapters of the Street Life Plan must be downloaded separately.
- Downtown Assets
- Downtown Initiatives
- Characteristics of a Quality Public Realm
- Districtwide Streetscape Improvement Projects
- Focus Areas
Groundwerx provides enhanced cleaning, ambassador and image enhancement services resulting in improved vitality and increased property values in downtown San Jose. Service commenced Jan. 28, 2008. Download the Groundwerx Brochure
- Create a sparkling and friendly environment for those who live, work and play here.
- Increase property values by improving the overall perception of downtown San Jose.
- Provide private-sector control and accountability.
- Groundwerx clean & green teams use state-of-the-art, environmentally friendly equipment to clean and maintain sidewalks and pedestrian areas.
- Provide basic and premium levels of cleaning services. Premium services will be twice that of the basic services. See map.
- Serve as “eyes and ears” on the street and assist in the deterrence of nuisance crimes, such as graffiti, loitering and panhandling.
- Develop and enable image-enhancing streetscape improvements within the district. The latest example is “The Halo” light show in the Circle of Palms
After careful consideration and discussion with the City of San Jose, local artists, SJDA board leadership, and the community, SJDA has decided the best way to proceed with the project was to re-issue the RFP as a Request for Qualifications. As the first project of its kind in San Jose, the steps taken are being curated with more scrutiny as a model to follow. We appreciate the understanding and flexibility.
The RFQ is seeking an artist to design the crosswalk pattern that will visually link together the four blocks of Paseo de San Antonio, a pedestrian corridor linking transit to retail, theaters, and the San Jose State University campus. The art crosswalks are part of the Downtown San Jose Street Life Plan sjdowntown.com/groundwerx/, which aims to encourage and facilitate vibrant social interaction, promote pedestrian life, enhance the physical image of the District, and be a source of pride for the community.
Submissions for the reissued RFQ :
• Brief Cover Letter describing interest in the project and ability to complete the project.
• Current Artist resume.
• 3 – 5 examples of prior artwork with descriptions – 1 page per artwork max.
The objective is to seek artists who are able to translate the city’s values into a design, while working within the confines of the crosswalk print material. While the RFQ is for Paseo de San Antonio, we may use the submitted artists for other crosswalk design projects in other districts of downtown San Jose.
The deadline for the submission is Friday, March 6, 2015 at 5:00pm.
San Jose Downtown Association PBID. Attention: Jason Su, 28 N. First Street, Suite #1000, San Jose, CA 95113 or electronically at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help make downtown sparkle: For Groundwerx Ambassadors and Clean Teams Services, call 408-287-1520. If you have a comment or see that something’s off, call Groundwerx Operations Manager Eric Hon at
408-590-0241 or email email@example.com
For job inquires, please contact the Groundwerx office at 408-287-1520.