Director of Policy and Government Relations
POSITION DESCRIPTION: The San Jose Downtown Association (SJDA) Director of Policy and Government Relations leads SJDA economic development, planning, transportation and advocacy initiatives. This position supervises the Business Development Manager, Street Life Manager, and other staff as assigned.
The Director of Policy and Government Relations is a full-time, exempt position and reports to the Executive Director.
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Responsible for developing, coordinating and implementing programs and policies that achieve the goals of the organization, particularly in the departments of business development, street life and advocacy.
- Organizes and provides SJDA leadership for government relations and advocacy services in response to member issues that impact downtown San Jose.
- Develops positive relationships, partnerships and collaborations with other downtown stakeholders through personal contact and involvement in other downtown organizations and groups.
- Represents SJDA and downtown San Jose in community working groups, public forums, speaker engagements and media interviews.
- Manages the Downtown Community Development Corporation (DCDC) board and budget.
- Directs the following committees: Advocacy and Design. Attends Board of Directors meetings, Board Executive Committee meetings, Finance Committee meetings, and other committee meetings as appropriate.
- Assists with Board development and recruitment of Board members.
- Responsible for analysis and review of departmental systems.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- BA/BS degree and a minimum of five years of relevant professional experience.
- Ideal candidate will have a background/experience in special assessment districts, government relations, economic development and/or project management.
- Management/supervisor experience.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of community outreach and development.
- Strong customer service and interpersonal communications skills required.
- Computer proficient.
SALARY: $100-125,000 annual; competitive benefit package
DEADLINE: January 31, 2020 at 5:30pm.
TO APPLY: Please submit a cover letter and resume to
San Jose Downtown Association, Human Resources
28 N. First St., #1000
San Jose, CA 95113
For Groundwerx clean and ambassador team job inquires, please contact the Groundwerx office at 408-287-1520.